Here are some Top Ten Tips to getting a good night's sleep. You may be familiar with some of these already, but it never hurts to be reminded.
1. Set a regular bedtime and wake time and stick to them, even on weekends. Good sleeping is all about routines, which leads us to No. 2.
2. Establish a relaxing pre-bedtime ritual. Take a hot bath, turn off the TV and computer, turn down the bedroom lights even if you are still reading (something light, of course).
3. Keep your bedroom cool, dark, comfortable, uncluttered and quiet.
4. Don't take work to bed with you. That said,remove phones, Blackberries and other gadgets from your bedroom.
5. Eat a small meal for dinner, rather than a large one that makes you feel stuffed.
6. If you are still feeling stressed from the day, try some relaxation techniques or meditations.
Also, keep a pad and pen near your bed and write down all of the things you are stressing over and tell yourself there will be plenty of time to deal with them after you wake up in the morning.
7. Replace alcoholic or caffeine drinks in the late afternoon or evening with something else, like milk or herbal teas. Avoid nicotine before trying to sleep.
8. Do some physical activity during the day to tire you out a little more when you lay down to sleep.
9. Don't go to bed hungry. Eat a small, light snack before retiring, like a bowl of cereal or crackers.
10. If these tips don't help, you may want to consider consulting with a doctor who specializes in sleep.
If you like this, check out these Top Ten lists...
. . . golf tips
. . .party tips
. . .unusual garden containers
. . .photo tips
. . .road trip necessities
...back to school tips